
I tend to think about a million different things as I get ready each day and clean house a bit and what not . . . my mission is a constant for popping up in my head and just this morning I got thinking about my great love, appreciation and connection to Germany! I feel like my "German Obsession" began back in 10th grade when I started taking German in school . . leading to my time in Austria as an exchange student . . . in turn kindling my love of European History leading to my school studies . . . then serving in Germany on my mission made my love and knowledge of German History and church history increase 10 fold as well as my love for the German people . . . then I marry my sweet hubby who has Swiss and Danish ancestory . . . and then with Grandpa Liechty's recent passing I got to thinking more about his experiences as a soldier their and it has just touched my heart even more! In turn it is because of the kindness of a German couple who hid him and a fellow soldier that I have amazing in laws and an eternal husband and the future/present family that I have! I hope to meet them one day and thank them! The wars that ravaged the beautiful towns, cities and people of Germany are something that are close to my heart . . . the events and experiences any ways. As a missionary I must admit that what happened their was always with me . . . My entire time their I could not help but wonder what the forests that we traveled through had witnessed and what the people that I spoke with everyday had endured.

I think towards the end of my mission while serving in the little town of Weimar, shadowed by the memorials of Buchenwald that towered over the town from the hillside, I really became just so very grateful for the love of a Father in Heaven! I know that many people view tragic events and say "Where is God" or "Why did he let this happen?" But as I walked the grounds of Buchenwald and remembered the fallen I knew with surety that Heavenly Father considers it sacred ground and that he is very aware of what his children did, and what they endured. It is an almost overwhelming experience to walk the grounds of Concentration camps and battle grounds but it is something that I hope that given the opportunity everyone will take to do and remember and learn from the past and honor those whose lives were taken and the many soldiers and saints who sacrificed so much to save those who they could and end the evil that sought after and encaged them. While in Weimar one night we were walking the loop home and came across a brand new memorial dedicated to the American soldiers who liberated Buchenwald. It is something that I will never forget and hope to educate my children on, specifically about their Great-Grandfather who helped to liberate Dachau. History is a master teacher and preparer for the future!

Okay that was my brain spill for now . . . it is way late but now I want to hurry and browse through my mission album a bit . . . great! Take care!
No comments:
Post a Comment